I've never seen those wooden handled mora's with hand guard before, interesting...

I've never liked the handle on those old-fashioned red ones - but that is a question of personal geometry and preferences. It would only take 15 minutes to remove that silly paint, shape the handle to fit my hand and then treat the wood with whatever you like (to improve the grip, not cracking etc). If you have a handle that fits your hand like a glove and a surface that is less prone to slipping than wet, red paint - then do you really need a finger guard? But handling the red mora I've always had a feeling that I was going to slip any minute....

I've recently become very good friends with the clipper (carbon steel as well as stainless). I really like that handle, and it feels secure without any need for any more finger guard than the unobtrusive small ergonomic "bump" that is there.

Oh, and if anyone has more info on those laminated moras I'm interested in that as well. Laminated knives have a long tradition in Scandinavia, but I didn't know that mora made any. Well, live and learn...

I love Mora for their price / quality relationship. Over the last 6 months I've been going through 6-7 knives of slightly different configurations, testing and trying - as well as trying to sharp them afterwards. These knives are scattered around at various places in my home, car and so on. No knife is wasted. I would never have the heart to buy a $100+ knife, test it for a few weeks, sharpen it and then let it live in the tool chest...