Like everything good information can be gold....but evaluating the quality of that information is everything.

A couple of years ago we had a moderate earthquake here and looking back on it I would rate my information gathering quality like this...best to worst.

HAM radio emergency net, AM/FM radio, then nothing, then TV. TV was complete and total garbage and served no useful purpose during or after the quake. AM and FM radio was decent, and the HAM's were giving first eye accounts only, no speculation...superb.

Information during a disaster is good to have so a radio is one more piece of the puzzle...figuring out if the info is good is the reason for HAM radio in my view.

I participate in two local emergency communications groups, getting to know the operators, practicing in drills, is the best way I know of to make sure the information quality is valuable.

I just bought new HAM radios for myself and recently licensed wife that have wide frequency receive, this way I can hear NOAA weather, local AM and FM radio, and TV in addition to the various volunteer HAM operators and emergency response systems we have in place.

I rank communication in an urban setting up with shelter in my priority list.