The kids grandpa came with us on a hike this week. It was a night hike and we did a bit of off-trailing trekking to visit a tree felled by beavers. He hung in there really well but the kids were a little unsteady. They kept asking to borrow my headlamp and I kept reminding them that they have their own headlamps in their hiking packs, which they didn't want to carry because they were too heavy. (At 4, 6 and 7, we let them off the hook for night hikes, especially on school nights.) Instead they trudged along, shining their lights uselessly into the sky and our eyes, complaining the whole way.

Honestly, it was a great hike. Someday they'll listen a little more and learn to use their lights effectively. Until then, a bunch of our dads went out a bought some of those huge 10 gazillion candle power lanterns. It's almost comical.

Papa went out today and bought headlamps for all the kids in the group to put in their 'haversacks". Then he started telling stories as he helped his grandkids take off the packaging, put in the batteries and test them out. He told them they should always bring their lights, whistle lanyards and water with them on every hike, especially when it's dark and they're tired.

He was a Scoutmaster for a little while in his younger years, but he is very subtle about passing along his wisdom. He picks his times perfectly - when they're asking and are ready to listen.

As the kids rushed off to find their hiking packs, he sat there smiling, and I remembered all the stories he told me growing up. He sparked my imagination and my common sense and it's fun to watch him do the same with this next generation!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA