I want to add to Susan's post about evacuating a burning vehicle around downed power lines - definitely a very last resort, since the odds of making ground contact in the wrong way are very high, and you will be electrocuted. If you land on your two feet and manage not to be electrocuted, Puget Sound Energy recommends shuffling away from the scene - do not lift either foot off the ground. I understand that breaks the possible circuit and the electric charge will end somewhere in your body, probably your heart. In fact PSE recommends shuffling away from any downed power line you may have approached on foot - don't take any chances, you might have come close enough to get power running through your body, or the electric field may have shifted on you. It only takes a hair dryer in a bathtub to give you a hard enough shock to kill you, don't mess around with downed wires.

Every time there's a question involving electricity I regret not paying better attention in physics, or in auto shop. All I know is to stay away, alert help, and keep others safely away too. In almost any scenario that works for folks, especially here in the PNW after our windstorms.

As for the other obscure and hypothetical scenario offered by someone else (wife pregnant, child in car, help more than 4 hours away) - stay in your car, call 911. If you wife goes into labor, deliver the baby. If your car catches fire, do your best to put it out. If it continues to burn and you with it, you must all leap and take your chances, just like in Susan's scenario. Prepare to watch at least one of your loved ones electrocuted if you let them leap first. You are safer for the next four hours in a burning car with a woman in labor than you are leaving the car before help arrives to deal with the downed power lines and rescue you.