Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Regarding the "curved knife" -- I have always seen that referred to as a "Green River Knife," the primary tool of the skinner/hunter/trapper of the day. The design stuck because, simply, it worked. They were manufactured in their untold thousands/millions and used across the continent. Each one has tales to tell, and is worth keeping.

Doug is correct on the above. These knives are not all that rare up here and can found here time to time in old homes, garages, antique stores, yard sales, estate sales etc. The knives on their own are just another old knife, but as Doug also alluded to, the tales those knives could tell, make them worthy to keep.

Whenever I find such an old item it never fails to intrigue me. I always wonder who owned it, what made them buy/make it? What/where did the owner(s) go and do with the item and how/why did it come to be here where I am now seeing it...perhaps over a hundred years or more later?

John Lubbock