Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Hikemor - I have no idea on the age of the old canoe I found, I do know that the area was accessed by road only 3 years ago. CANOEDOGS may be close on the age and make of the canoe as the area was used by trappers who marketed fur to the Hudson Bay Company. I will be in the area of the canoe again next fall and can check it out closer.

I mentioned the copper and brass tacks in my first post and CANOEDOGS gave a discription of how they were installed in his reply. I removed 2 of the tacks from a piece of the rotton wood of the canoe and the tacks can be seen in the image below, with a couple of period knives.

This fall while deer hunting in Central Ontario I found another neat thing.
I was in a remote location and saw what I thought was a piece of out-of-place aluminum garbage so I walked over to pick it up and pack it out of the bush. It turned out to be a mylar bag and beside it was some stryofoam and electronic parts? The return address on the bag solved the mystery, " National Weather Service Radiosonde Reconditioning Group, Kansas City Missouri", I had found a Weather Balloon "crash site". The radiosonde instrument, the soft battery pack and even the mylar bag were badly chewed by bears. I thought it was neat so I carried it out to show my hunting partners. At home I accessed the Weather Service site and found out that if the radiosonde is damaged then they do not want it returned for refurbishing (I returned a good one in the mid 80's); so my daughter is going to take it into her Grade 10 Science Class as a discussion item when they study weather.

Here is an image of what I found and the Weather Service discription.

Mike

Mike, what do you know about the curved knife (top of picture) I ask as I have one very similar that was found in my Grandfather's barn after he died in 1959. The tacks are different than the one in your picture, but brass with much larger heads.

Thanks,