Hikemor - I have no idea on the age of the old canoe I found, I do know that the area was accessed by road only 3 years ago. CANOEDOGS may be close on the age and make of the canoe as the area was used by trappers who marketed fur to the Hudson Bay Company. I will be in the area of the canoe again next fall and can check it out closer.

I mentioned the copper and brass tacks in my first post and CANOEDOGS gave a discription of how they were installed in his reply. I removed 2 of the tacks from a piece of the rotton wood of the canoe and the tacks can be seen in the image below, with a couple of period knives.

This fall while deer hunting in Central Ontario I found another neat thing.
I was in a remote location and saw what I thought was a piece of out-of-place aluminum garbage so I walked over to pick it up and pack it out of the bush. It turned out to be a mylar bag and beside it was some stryofoam and electronic parts? The return address on the bag solved the mystery, " National Weather Service Radiosonde Reconditioning Group, Kansas City Missouri", I had found a Weather Balloon "crash site". The radiosonde instrument, the soft battery pack and even the mylar bag were badly chewed by bears. I thought it was neat so I carried it out to show my hunting partners. At home I accessed the Weather Service site and found out that if the radiosonde is damaged then they do not want it returned for refurbishing (I returned a good one in the mid 80's); so my daughter is going to take it into her Grade 10 Science Class as a discussion item when they study weather.

Here is an image of what I found and the Weather Service discription.

Mike