I often get asked why I have so much on my belt. My daily belt carry when not at work is a Surefire 6P, a Gerber LX1.0 LED Flashlight, a Leatherman bit kit, a SOG Force Multiplier, and a Leatherman wave. That puts about 5 items on my belt. When ever I am asked I just say that I used to do SAR in Alaska and Old habits die hard. That normally dismisses people’s questions.

Though the other day the Police were visiting my house to talk to my roommate, (nothing serious) but when they saw my belt they became more interested in what I did for a living and why I was so well equipped. That I found interesting.

I always carry a man bag with me either in my backpack or on me directly. The interesting thing is that those that see what I carry; either dismisses it to my SAR days, or in the process of asking to use what I have on me.

Much like those of you that had the tow strap that you were using as someone was asking why you carried it. Those that are asking why I carry something (tow strap, axe, hammer and tools, ECT) are normally in the process of needing what they are asking why I carry it.