Originally Posted By: Dagny
Ladies,

Have you winterized your vehicle? Gives me peace of mind to know my battery is strong, tire tread is substantial and the car has fresh oil and the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval from my mechanic. One of my headlights went out last month and both have been replaced so that's bonus.

Also cleaned out the interior and re-packed it with road safety gear, survival gear, winter clothes, boots, some food and fresh water.

Later on I'll put chains in and a small snow shovel.

What do you all do to be road-ready in the winter?

Just had the tires and batt and windshield wipers changed as well as a service. Did the glass all the way around on the SUV myself with Rain-X and re-packed a container with compact sleeping bags, wool blanket, winter clothing, boots, body, foot and hand warmers. Checked all the emergency gear and batts. Put the snow peak stove with a couple of canisters back in and beefed up the fire making kit for winter. I too carry a small folding snow shovel all winter long but will also toss this one that I found yesterday in when snow is in the forecast, $19.95 at Costco. I also carry a portable batt box with tire inflator and it needs to be recharged fairly often, plus a tow line in case of slipping off a rural road.

http://www.suncast.com/productdisplay.aspx?id=413&pid=43

I have 4wd so I only carry chains if crossing the Cascades in the winter. I really dislike chains.

Then after all this was done, I noticed one of my fog lights was out last night--so back to the dealer today to get both changed.