Thanks for all your comments folks,

MostlyHarmless - I had no lid in the first GreenHeat Gel set-up but did in the 3 tests in my garage, I still could not get it to boil. You are correct that a lid really helps boil times, often I just use tinfoil.

LesSnyder - You are right that a windbreak is critical for use of a mini-stove outdoors. The very thin military windscreen that I used as a lid in Image #2 will probably become the windscreen for my Trangia Burner and Super Cat Stove.

Hikemor and Sotto - I agree with you that the Trangia Spirt Burner is a great little stove and will be the one I carry when lunch involves actual cooking and not just boiling a small amount of water. I was lucky to find just the burner for sale at the MEC store in Toronto for $12.00. The one listed on the website includes the potstand and pot/lid for $31.00.

Dagny - The JetBoil system looks very interesting and efficient on fuel. The difference is in the weight and bulk in my small daypack. The Super Cat Stove weighs only 1/4oz (0.25oz) as it is just a mini-aluminium cat food tin with holes punched in it, a very simple unit with lots of thought behind it.

The Super Cat stove was developed by Jim Wood as seen in his website here. It takes about 5 minutes to build a Super Cat with a minimum of tools.

Please keep the ideas coming,

Mike