first let me play some catch-up.below is the kit i was using.
a Swiss canteen filled with food and some other small items and wrapped in two zip lock bags and sealed,i hoped,with duct tape.
outside and on top of the kit i had a fire making kit that i could get at without digging around through anything else.

inside the canteen and wrapped in foil to protect and compress items like tea bags i had about a weeks worth of food,mainly blocks of pea soup.

the other pocket of the PFD has the shelter making gear and some other odds and ends.the photo is from the old kit and has been upgraded by taking out the foil "sleeping bag" and replacing it with a small Heatsheet bag.

now the issue with the food side was trying to find a container that i could cook in and seal and keep sealed during the rough and tumble of a wilderness canoe trip.i have a foot locker filled with every sort of pot,pan,Scout and Army mess kit,ours,French,British,Czechoslovakia,a major heap lets say.
i even tried candy and cookie tins but they could not take the heat of a open fire.
below are a few of the ones that almost worked. a lunch box from China,a Svea cookkit,the pot from a Svea camp stove with a lid from a Trangia tea pot,a MSR cooking pot with a snap down bail and a Sierra cup.i used the cup on one trip with a foil cover in a zip lock but it did not hold much.

so this is what i came up with.the photo below shows the cut bottle of canteen fitting into the cup with a few items that fit inside if you want to make a PSK for general hiking.the parts pull far enough apart to fit a lot more in than i have in the photo,i did that just to show how much room there is inside.the two fit together so tight that even that far apart they is no play when you try and wiggle them around.a good seal with tape and i'm sure it would be water proof.

next post i'll show you how i put the food side of my ditch kit together and the items in it.in that kit the two parts compress as tight as they will go so the finished product will fit into the zip pocket of my PFD

Edited by CANOEDOGS (11/16/10 08:05 PM)