The next alcohol stove I tried was a Trangia Burner fueled with methyl alcohol (Heet or fondue fuel). I carried the stove filled with fuel but the o-ring seal leaked a little so I put it in a plastic bag. Since then I have found the correct amount of tightening (compression) to keep the stove from leaking.

This time I used the Tringia burner, under a homemade wire pot stand, tinfoil wind break and GSI cup with makeshift sheet aluminum lid.

This set-up worked great, lots of heat that was easy to set-up and control. It took about 8 minutes to boil 500ml of water.

At home I tested the Trangia burner with a larger pot and 1 litre of water, like I was going to heat an MRE or stew. This set-up brought the water to a boil in about 12 minutes, and there was still enough fuel in the stove to heat another 500ml of water for a hot drink.

This is an excellent stove to make a meal, but just for coffee it was a little heavy, the seperate pot stand was bulky in my pack and there was a risk of the stove leaking fuel.

Moving on to gelled canned alcohol in my next post.

Mike