Originally Posted By: rebwa
No matter what method used to start the fire, the trick is to have plenty of wood already gathered to get it going and often times nurse it along until it's burning hot. Getting a fire going in wet conditions takes some doing at the best. Finding dry wood to get it going is the ticket.

Very true. I had a helluva time getting that thru my brother's thick head, though. We went camping last weekend, and due to p!ss poor planning (mostly on his part) we didn't get to camp until a half hour before sundown. That annoyed me since I like to take my time with fire prep, batonning wood down til I have a pretty big pile of kindling. Normally I sort the wood into three piles- kindling, small fuel and large fuel. To me kindling is wood between the size of a pencil and the size of your thumb. Small fuel is wood split down to the dry center and no larger than your wrist. Large fuel is anything that will burn but larger than that, maybe split once. At any rate, I didn't have time to split a ton of wood, but I had enough to get the fire going. I built an platform for an upside down fire and placed a cotton ball under the kindling. The wood was simply not as dry as I'd have liked so things were taking a while to get really going. But my brother sees flame and starts heaping wood on it. mad I try to explain that fire needs air as well as fuel but he's convinced it will be fine. Long story short, I ended up having to "rescue" the fire with a little bundle of fatwood I'd brought along to try out but forgotten to use (until that point). I think he learned a lot about fire that evening. Next time he'll know enough to let the fire reach that critical mass before adding large fuel.