Like many of you, my dad was the real start. He was a WWII pilot and had to walk home a few times. He was well prepared from growing up in a rural town. Living on a working ranch in the mountains with him out of town a lot (field work in the oil business) sharpened the interest and gave me a good guide. Got into SAR at 13 (Civil Air Patrol), the local fire department at 16. Started to fly in the rockies about that time, for transportation and search. At 18 I joined a mountain rescue group. I also worked for the local ambulance company and police department in college. A trip to the Antarctic for field work brought some new experience and training. A stint in the Army added to my training in jungle survival and interest in staying alive. It also introduced me to some of the world's heaviest and least useful commercial kits. Some 45 years of field geology and geophysics around the world, particularly in the arctic. LOTS of time as pilot or passenger in helo's and small airplanes over REALLY remote areas has kept up my interest. Many chances to "try out" various kits, sometimes even for fun, let me know what I was doing right (and wrong :-(.

All these things got me going and kept up my interest. I have only made a few hundred survival kits and bought as many more. I am still looking for the right one, though I now start with a Ritter PSK for small ones. First time I bought a kit I would willingly carry. Thanks Doug. Thanks to those of you here (the new ones thanks in advance) for helping me improve my kits. Like most of you I have a number of kits - Hurricane kit, house kit, car kits, bug out kits, aviation kits, field kits for different situations, rescue kits, etc. This site has helped me improve all of them.

Thanks to all,

Jerry