Originally Posted By: MIKEG
Some pointers on TQ use:

-Use a premanufactured device, I recommend the SOFT-T, SWAT TQ, and TK4/TK4L based on my experience and testing. Belts dont work as well as you would think. I literally just ran a gun shot wound call where a guy had shot himself in the leg and tried to use a belt as a tourniquet. For one, he didnt need a tourniquet and for two, it was completely ineffective at applying pressure. The TK4 costs less than $10 and weighs less than 2oz.
-Know how to use it, that means get a couple and dedicate one to training and practice applying it with your strong hand and weak hand on all extremities.
-Dedicate one to training, many after action reports (AARs) from the military revealed early failures of TQs and it was found that this was due to people repeatedly using them in training and then putting them on their gear for operational use. They were not designed for this as they are single operational use items. So dont set yourself up for failure.
-Get training on when and when NOT to use it. As good as online forums are they are no replacement for hands on, structured training from a professional.

Two additional things to keep in mind:

-Although it's common practice to place the tourniquet just above the source of bleeding, it isn't always effective due to the fact that there are two bones located between the wrist and the elbow, potentially preventing sufficient pressure on the artery to stop the bleeding (the same is obviously true with the lower legs). In these cases it is often necessary to place the TQ higher up the extremity where it can compress against a single bone and stop the arterial bleeding.

-Once you install a TQ, do not remove it for any reason. Although anyone can install a TQ, only a trained medical professional should remove it. High concentrations of lactate and hypoxanthine build up in the tissue below the TQ, which if quickly released into the bloodstream upon TQ removal could cause serious medical complications, including shock.

Jim