Originally Posted By: dweste
Is it appropriate for you to share how you have this assortment?

Just haven't sold off equipment as I've upgraded over the years.

Originally Posted By: dweste
Last time I looked at this stuff it was for me prohibitively expensive to get the units and to use them - far most than PLB's for example. Has this changed?

Depending on how you are seeking to acquire a sat phone they don't have to be expensive. For example if you are looking at the latest Iridium phone, the 9555, expect to spend about $1,500 (USD) from a dealer and about $1300 on various auction sites for a complete new in the box kit. A used 9500 series phone can be picked up for around $200 to $500. Both will make and receive calls just fine. Air time cost is the same regardless of equipment.

All of the other Iridium models are not in production but easily available on the used market. The 9500 is built like a tank but also the largest and heaviest model. The 9505 is basically a 9500 in a smaller case and shares the same accessories. These two models are from Motorola. The 9505a is the first Iridium branded phone and is electronically incompatible with 9505 (which is Motorola branded) (different chargers, and accessories. The Kyocera equipment offers a full solution for installation within a marine environment. The Kyocera equipment was also the first phone for Iridium's network and is also no longer in production.

All of these phones will work on the system today. They require a SIM card - so once you have that just charge the battery, insert the sim card, and you're ready to make and receive calls from anywhere on earth (Iridium claim) except North Korea and Iran (from what I have read these countries have requested Iridium not to deliver service)