sotto..i of course fold the striker in half with the rough bit to the inside so a bad move taking a match out will not strike a light.other methods have been to glue a bit of striker to the inside of the jar lid but that was sort of a short area to strike the match so i went back to the folded strip.a candle stub fits into the jars i use and keeps the matches from moving around and damaging the heads which are always kept down so if you pluck the match out with wet fingers your not taking it by the head.i took a pack of paper matches on a couple canoe trips just to see how long they lasted just carried around in a shirt pocket.by the second evening they were almost useless,the striker strip seemed to fail first.old,really old matches might really be the best.Dillon Wallace in his second book,the first being The Lure Of the Labrador Wild,tells of a canoe upset in the rapids of the George River.in that second book The Long Labrador Trail he tells of how he got a fire going that saved his life and that of his canoe mate by using a old phosphorus match--his last--when the new ones,this is 1910 or so,"buttered" on a rock when he struck them.