Some Buddhist thought on truth:

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find anything that agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." (Siddhartha Gautama - The Buddha, 563-483 B.C.), Kalma sutra

'A man has a faith. If he says, "This is my faith," so far he maintains truth. But by that he cannot proceed to the absolute conclusion, "This alone is Truth, and everything else is false." In other words, a man may believe what he likes, and he may say, "I believe this." So far he respects truth. But because of his faith or belief, he should not say that what he believes is alone the Truth, and everything else is false." Buddha, Canki sutra, 93 of M.as set forth in What the Buddha Taught, p. 10, by Walpola Rahula, 1959 (2d ed. 1974), Grove Press.

Rahula explains:

"However you put it, faith or belief as understood by most religions has little to do with Buddhism.

The question of belief arises when there is no seeing - seeing in every sense of the word. The moment you see, the question of belief disappears. If I tell you that I have a gem hidden in the folded palm of my hand, the question of belief arises because you do not see it yourself. But if I unclench my fist and show you the gem, then you see it for yourself and the question of belief does not arise. So the phrase in ancient Buddhist texts reads, ' Realizing, as one sees a gem (or a myrobalan fruit) in the palm.' " Ibid at pp. 8-9.

[Disclaimer: I am not Buddhist nor do I have any financial interest Buddhism.]

Edited by dweste (10/22/10 11:52 PM)