In my humble opinion, much of what is considered truth is relative to our experiences be they cultural, religious, time period, socioeconomic status, etc. Therefore, the process by which we seek truth is the key to discovering and adopting the various truths we encounter in life. The process has been given many catchy terms like critical analysis, process analysis, data analysis, experimental process and a whole host of other terms. The bottom line in teaching truth to our children is to instill in them a sense of wonder.

The human spirit is curious by nature, our goal should be to encourage and foster independent investigation. We should seek to avoid monolithic thinking in our children and while we naturally desire that they adopt our truth as parents, their experiences may lead them to a completely different set of truths than ours. I try to teach and instill values, in my children, how they ultimately take those values, implement and formulate truths will likely be different from my truths, because they are different and unique individuals.

Without involving religion, my approach to life is based upon three things: knowledge, volition and action. For me, all three are required to accomplish any task, large or small. I must possess the knowledge to make intelligent decisions, I must have the desire to implement the knowledge I have acquired and finally I must act, if the knowledge and desire are to have purpose. I believe if I can instill those three pursuits in my children, I have provided them with the tools to tackle most things in life.

Pete