Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

The biggest error I see in gathering truth/s have to do with the failure of people to discriminate between what is demonstrably true, often painfully true about themselves and their situation, and what feels right and sits comfortable with their existing world-view.

Absolutely. Due to limited and hightly variable abilities and motivation of the individual to do this, a set of foundational principles is necessary to give everything else a context.

In a simplistic example, a sign on the road says 'Speed Limit 70'. Do we all discern for ourselves the meaning of this?

Is it 70 KPH?
Is it 70 MPH?
Is it the maximum speed?
Is it the minimum speed?
Why is there a limit at all?
Why does my speedometer go to 140?
If I think Im a better driver than most, does it apply to me?
Who are 'they' to tell me how to drive?

Absent an overriding and agreed apon set of guiding principles (mores), everything else floats and becomes the domain of the philosopher and demigogue. Look at the quagmire and machinations that have resulted in the legal and educational systems as we try to replace our shredded cultural mores with laws. I believe that all people have an innate desire for the foundational truths. Their human limitations acknowledged. the religious traditions of nearly all peoples across the ages have provided them. These religious and culteral mores have always worked to promote peace and to provide meaning and context unless perverted by individuals seeking power.

Without these principles (truths) you can justify any action or inaction, and life is an empty and meaningless struggle with a bitter and lonely end.