Truths are always limited and provisional. They are trapped in time, place, and world-view. They can be misapplied if the context is not understood.

Many religious texts get misused when people read a verse that says to go forth and do XYZ if you fail to look into the historical context and understand that XYZ is not a universally valid response but was, rather, applicable only to that specific time, place, situation, often only the personalities involved.

Good advice, received truth, can be very specific. A friend of mine has a snippet he picked up: 'Have a plan to kill everyone you meet'. It is fine advice if your locked up on Devil's Island with mass murderers where life is a 24/7 death match. He has largely outgrown it as the consequences of that mindset, alienation and isolation, manifested itself.

It also has to be noted that there are no entirely reliable outlets for truth. People often tell lies when they think they are telling the truth. People want, often need, to believe. They can also expose truths when they lie. A used car salesman that jokes that he is going to take advantage of you is telling you something. Answers suggest questions. Anyone who tells you: You can trust me', is bringing their own honesty into question. A lot of conspiracy theories fail, in part, because they assume a source, or set of sources, always lie. Funny thing is that over MSM is right far more than not. What gets lost is context.

The one thing that identifies greater from less truths is that greater truths form a coherent and functional world-view that allows you to predict, and deal with, the future in practical ways. A world-view that more closely matches the preponderance of the credible evidence, provides testable conclusions, and promotes both function and further useful insights.

The biggest error I see in gathering truth/s have to do with the failure of people to discriminate between what is demonstrably true, often painfully true about themselves and their situation, and what feels right and sits comfortable with their existing world-view.