We all seem to agree on redundancy for fire starting. The question is which methods will most likely yield a going flame? My routine lighter is a butane, backed up with matches, and a ferro rod.

I have been in some situations where getting a fire lit was critical, a few of which might even have been life or death situations. Matches have always come through. Given that currently manufactured matches are of poorer quality than in the past, I stock up on REI Stormproofs. Matches carried in other than a waterproof container don't count.

The real change over the years is that I have carried some sort of liquid or gas stove, and have relied less and less on campfires. In lousy conditions, having really good, reliable tinder or fire starter (PJ cotton balls, Wetfire, or the aforementioned stove) really solves the problem. For stoves, I prefer isobutane canisters (Pocket Rocket) or a good old Trangia alcohol stove. The Trangia can carry its own fuel supply and will burn hand cleanser (Purell) or yellow Heet, among other fuels.