ChicagoCraig,

About the "metalmatch" in the third pic you posted...

Actually it was designed to be filled with lighter fluid (i.e. zippo fuel). The fibrous material inside serves the same fuel holding purpose as the cotton packing inside a zippo.
There is/ or should be some cotton wick-like material on the end of the "match" and this would be saturated with fuel everytime the unit is closed after use.
Actually there is an O-ring near the threading which prevents the fuel from evaporating from the closed unit very effectively.
While writing this I took out one of mine (I have several) that hadn't been used for over two years because I was curious to see if it would still light. Lit up on the second strike!! Now there is something we can work with cool
As for burn time: expect something like 30 to 40 seconds (way longer than a wooden match) before it goes out and the wick has to be replenished by returning the "match" back to its container where it can soak up some more fuel and be re-used immediately. However, you shouldn't let the match burn until the fuel in the wick is all gone because the flame will "eat" the wick for dessert. cry
All in all a good and reliable bit of kit.

Pharaoh.