Originally Posted By: kevingg
carry a road flare. you will be able to get a fire going, thats for certain.

In my mind, this is the only RIGHT answer so far (edit: just saw Doug_SE_MI's response above..., so there are now two:)). When in an EMERGENCY, you do not want a questionable way to start a fire or one that produces only a soft, delicate flame. I've started fires in the snow for several years, as I'm sure many of you have, but it is my experience that the easiest, surest, quickest way to get it going is to use a road flare. It only takes about 6" of the flare to get the selected wood going, so you can cut/break it off at about the length of a mini-mag flashlight, plug/close the end and wrap it up somehow (it is covered in wax). I carried two like that for years on SAR.

In CA, CHP will replace the road flares you needed to use for an emergency roadside event. The next time you see one who is not on a call and is in a safe area, tell him what you are doing and see if he can help in an emergency that hasn't happened yet:).

Caltrans also can contribute, if they are in a generous mood, with one or two of those 4 mil. orange plastic garbage bags. Those are great for your kit.

Of course, there is no substitution for practicing the skills you may need one day. Whatever you choose to carry, practice, practice, practice...

Edited by Basecamp (10/06/10 07:02 PM)