+100 (or whatever we're up to) on the cotton balls with petroleum jelly. Not only do they catch a spark easier than almost anything else that's quick and easy to deploy, they also burn longer for their size/weight. A little messy to carry and handle, though.

After dousing my cotton balls with petroleum jelly I like to roll them into cylindrical shaped tabs with an outer skin of tissue paper and trim in half. Each cotton ball yields two tabs the same size as a Tinder-Quik and the tissue paper wrapping makes them less messy to deal with. I store them and a Spark-Lite in small hinged-plastic box that originally held fishing sinkers.

I've used them to start a small fire while hiking backcountry in the winter. Either find a rock or make a base of HD aluminum foil or green wood so you're not directly on top of the snow. 1/2 a cotton ball will burn for about 5 minutes, which is more than enough time to get a good fire going.