Apologies for dragging-up an old thread, but I've been interested in this product for a while. Very little info can be found, and while I'd be willing to buy one to test it out, I really don't have any equipment to do so.

I was able to find an abstract on the Science Technical Information Network of testing performed in 1984 by the Armed Forces Food Science Establishment

Evaluation of Survival Straws

Quote:
There are three main sections in a straw. The first is a primary inlet filter to remove suspended particle matter. The second is a halogenated polystyrene divinyl-benzene quarternary ammonium anion resin containing 38% iodine. This section is alleged to kill microorganisms. The third is a purifying medium of carbon to remove impurities and make the water palatable. Preliminary results raise some doubts as to the bactericidal efficiency of Survival Straws. The possible inactivation of the bactericidal resin in the straw by the Simulated Contaminated Water employed, would need to be investigated before further studies could proceed.

Has anyone got any more info on this? It's surprising they've been around for so long without someone doing an evaluation?