No generalities here, America is well behind in STEM (science, technology, engineering & math) education. I recently saw on CNN that America is ranked 27 out of the 30 top countries in STEM education. (I can't find the link but the info is out there somewhere.)

Ho-hum, who cares, right?

Well, I care. I personally think that stat is a big freakin' deal because America use to be the runaway leader in STEM education. I believe that stat is a reflection of the many people in America who feel a sense of entitlement to remain smug, cocky and barely competent. India, China and other countries are kicking America's ass in STEM education. Let's not sugar coat it and pretend like everything is going to be OK. If we continue along this path, America is going to be entirely OWNED by the world's leaders in STEM. We almost are already.

Perhaps more than ever, we need OUR OWN people who know how to rebuild our infrastructure, build bridges, operate the power grid, etc. We also need the rest of America to understand the value of such skills. I have nothing against industries like entertainment, art, music, fashion, etc. We all need our entertainment. However, America can't sustain itself if too many people want to be the next Oprah, sell novels, appear on the next reality TV show, etc.