Originally Posted By: ireckon
I need fire starters for when I go off piste snowboarding. Currently, my system includes the following:

1. Peanut Lighter packed with waterproof tinder.
2. Ferro rod packed with waterproof tinder.
3. Sparker or another ferro rod packed with waterproof tinder. (I'm leaning toward another ferro rod for this third position.)

I yet have to practice fire starting in freezing conditions up on the mountain. Do any of you have experience that will help me?

Under mountain conditions when it's freezing, sleeting and generally going to hell, you are going to get exactly one chance to get your fire going. Get it wrong and its close to certain that you are going to die.

Ferro Rod, Bunsen Burner "windproof" type butane lighter,and a Zippo.

Pack the Zippo in a ziplock freezer baggie to waterproof it.

Reason you need a zippo is because it's great for putting under a pile of wet tinder.

Your other consideration is tinder. I prefer a mix of Tinder-Quick, cotton wool balls, ranger bands and either wetfire or esbit. I prefer wetfire. Simply because its not toxic in a confined space.
Dont get fixated on using only one type of tinder for your fire. If it's dropped in the pot expect to use, for example, cotton wool balls to catch a spark from your ferro rod and then use the flame from that to ignite something like the wetfire.

If every thing is dripping, be prepared to use the whole lot.