Here's another link to the story of the ongoing efforts. He was on a 4 day trip and had a backpack, so presumably he had some gear. The family say he's an experienced outdoorsman- hopefully that translates into having the gear & skills to make it. His dog is with him (wearing a red doggie pack) and it hasn't been found, either. That might be a good sign.

Of course, there's this:

Hofflander says her husband set out on a four-day hike with friends in the rugged area of Seven Devils. But on the fourth day, Sept. 27, the group split up, and Hofflander hasn't been seen since.

"Monday morning they split up because my husband's knee was bothering them and they were supposed to meet down at the river and my husband never showed up down at the river," she said.

Hofflander says the group thought her husband was capable of making it on his own, otherwise they wouldn't have left him. She now thinks her husband started to make his way toward the meeting place, but possibly turned around because of the injury.

That's some great thinking there! Hmmm...I'm injured...hey, I know guys! Let's split up! confused