Originally Posted By: Susan
MoBOB: "
Over half the rail crews I haul around are ex-military, maybe even closer to three-quarters. I asked why that was, and the answer I get repeatedly is... "Because we've been taught to take orders and do as we're told".

That is the quick and easy answer that we give about life in the military. I still give it. I even say the hardest thing about retiring form the military is deciding what to wear every day; so many choices crazy They (we) had considerable flexibility to ensure things get done. We were not just mindless drones walking around. The larger the picture you see, the more you can act to take charge. For example, if something happens that causes mayhem in a crowd, look for the guys who have their heads together and are directing things. They are typically former military, current first responders, or even airline attendants.

Okay, you're military -- do you know what the modern word for "cannon fodder" is? I've asked my guys, and they don't know, they said they think it is still the phrase in use. Any idea?

To my limited knowledge there is no modern term for such a classic as "cannon fodder" It is timeless and universal.