Some people here have noted that every generation tends to view the kids of their generation as being substandard, and that "it's not that bad" once again in the current generation.

I beg to differ. Using objective standards, the U.S. used to be at the head of the global pack in education. That was only about 4 or 5 decades ago or so. Today, the U.S. is trailing miserably behind the world leaders in education of young people.

No, everything is not going to be OK if we continue along this path. No, it's not OK that most kids nowadays are glued to their X-boxes and Playstations, rather than playing outside and exploring. Nowadays, colleges are the new high schools, where most students don't get serious about their studies until they get to grad school. In the 1950's and 60's, it seems that college was college, not a place where kids are entitlement to get drunk and have the time of their lives while they're still young.

YOUR kids may be OK. Maybe even your little neighborhood is OK. However, on a grander scale, the U.S. has a lot of room for improvement if we want to continue to compete with the best in the world.

I was born and raised in America. I've traveled to various countries, and have lived in Japan for awhile. I describe many Americans as being smug, somewhat arrogant, and barely competent all at the same time. We are our worst enemies. I say that out of love and concern for my country.