Again, the situation here is a gnarly crash, big mountain, off course, cold, wet. The item that stands between life and death is your fire starter.

There is no way I would methodically plan to go big mountain riding with a Bic lighter as my fire starter for survival. Just because you don't want to spend $12 on a lighter that's way more rugged than a Bic Lighter, that doesn't mean that a Bic Lighter is good advice for this situation. Now, if that's the ONLY thing I have because I failed to plan thoroughly, then the Bic Lighter would have to do.

In contrast, a Peanut Lighter ($12), YES, I would plan beforehand to take that with me on a big mountain run.

By the way, anybody who's saying the snow is soft when they land either (A) is not that experienced or (B) is lucky enough to ride in ideal conditions all the time. On average, I have found the snow to be hard-ish about 50% of the time in Tahoe. It only makes sense to prepare for landing on the worst stuff, ice. Whatever is between the bone that hits and the hard snow/ice has a good chance of getting damaged.