a few years ago the PX at the Vets Hospital where i used to work had a rack of those 99 cent rain ponchos and survival blankets.the ponchos were knee length and see thru but i thought the blanket would work as a rain cover for a brush shelter.i got a couple and carried one around in my PFD pocket as part of a ditch kit.i use a Heat Sheet in that kit now as advised by some of our posters.anyway the old blanket that was in the PFD pocket for a few years went along on a trip this year so i could open it up and see what it was really like.

not much is it?the weather on this canoe trip was some of the worst i have seen with tree busting winds and heavy rain.when the rain let up i gathered what wood i could and stacked it loose in a windy spot to dry out.when the next round of rain moved in i used the old blanket to cover the pile the best i could.most of it was stuck together and the aluminum coating,which was so thin you could see thru it,came off.not really an issue for a well prepared canoe tripper who has a Gaz stove and tent but not something for a kit or even a family who got a few to keep in the car for winter car break downs.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (09/30/10 03:57 PM)