I re-read through all the posts here. There is some good info, however one aspect struck me and that is who here on this forum could actually see themselves in a desperate situation where it depended on you having to shoot animals to survive?

I carry a PLB and now also a SPOT device in the unlikely event I or someone in our group would require immediate rescue where a serious injury occurred and or a life was at stake. That said, I just cannot picture carrying a bb, pellet, .22 gun et al just in case I may find myself without food and have to hunt to eat. To me, being equipped to survive means having the PLB and or SPOT, adequate and extra food, other survival kit and also leaving a detailed itinerary with family /friends so that a rescue is initiated if we do not return at the scheduled time.

On the other hand, I can see where people who do not carry a PLB, or Spot and do not carry adquate food, kit nor leave an itinerary, may very well find themselves in a desperate situation and would be forced to scavenge and hunt for food until help and rescue arrives..or if it ever arrives at all. If it came down to this, I would rather be finding my way out of that situation. I don't think that aside from perhaps some remote areas of the Rockies and a few other small areas in the USA lower 48 where with the compass that you at least hopefully packed, you would not be all that long in finding some semblance of civilization before you were too weak from hunger to walk. I guess though if you did not have a compass and have a tendency to walk in circles, you will never find civilization and eventual help.

Just food for thought...no pun intended.

John Lubbock