Originally Posted By: Blast
In other words, what sort of event would send you into the woods rather than to a Motel 6 150 miles away?

I'm going to take a stab at this one, although I'd rather go to my folks or friends 50-100 miles away. And people who've been hear long enough have heard me say this before.

The only circumstance where "run to the hills" is anything other than suicide is when you know where you are going, and there are people there who will welcome you.

A lot of people have the very romantic notion of running away to the great unspoiled wilderness. Well, guess what: that means the desert, very deep swamps, or places where it gets lethally cold in the winter and stays there for months. It also means no where near any coasts, large lakes or major rivers. If you are going some place where people haven't settled, there is a reason for it. A reason called unless you are very lucky, very skilled, and very well adapted to it, that place will kill you and simply disappear your corpse.

Stay in the city. There is more to scavange from the city than most people know- assuming you city folk don't burn it all to ash. The "countryside" is dependent on shipments a week of food and power and fuel and parts to keep the water flowing, same as you. Bury any demented fantasies of being the love child of Robinson Crusoe and Nessmuk in a shallow, unmarked grave, and walk away from it.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.