I agree with Blast, Susan and others here, bugging out to the woods is not for me or my family even though we are all very comfortable and skilled in that enviroment. Just going on normal multi-day hikes and 2 week long camping trips sometimes takes on the logistics bordering on a military operation.

It is one thing to go a week or 10 days roughing in the woods, but any longer then that, the food, gear/kit and other items you will require for a longer term situation really adds up and is more then what will fit in most people's vehicles. Also the terrain around here and where you would need to go if we wanted to bug out is some of the most rugged in the PNW and as I have previously posted many times, it is a very unforgiving and harsh country.

Those who say it is possible also have to face the reality that if there was such a scenario to evac, the traffic jams in most metro areas would be ugly and brings to mind the scenes on TV when they tried to evac Houston some years ago.

In my AO, the biggest threat (and more then unlikely) is an earthquake. We live far enough away from any major industrial areas and dangerous goods routes that these threats are mostly non-existent..not to say it may not happen though. Even then, none of these events would be cause to head for the hills to try and eke out a meager life. I would rather stay at or near home (or relatives) and take my chances here in which there is shelter, food and plenty of drinkable water from multiple nearby natural sources if needed.

If you have those above 3 crucial things, you are miles ahead of that person and his family who decided to bug out for the supposed safey and sanctity of the woods where I can easily envision them sitting around a campfire this time of year while being cold, damp and not relishing the thought of sleeping another night in that unheated, drafty tent or that all too small, crowded and uncomfortable trailer and bed for another umpteenth night in a row...

John Lubbock