This concept is as old as agriculture itself. It's called "mixed farming." My great-grandparents and grandparents operated this way; and my parents also, to a lesser extent. Different animals, of course, but the same principles. Mixed farming is much closer to subsistence farming than the more industrial model that has been made possible by fossil fuels/fertilizers.

I'm always amused when it is "rediscovered." There's nothing really new here. But, that said, it may be new to the locals. And if it can lift people out of poverty and food insecurity, that's magnificent.

I get the distinct impression that there's a large source of waste biomass that comes to this operation from the outside. I don't believe it's self-sufficient in and of itself. Though that's not really a deal-breaker; there is extra biomass all over the place, ready for the taking, from my POV.

The most interesting thing is the anaerobic digester. This is being installed by free-enterprising farmers in all sorts of operations. It controls odour by burning it in an internal combustion engine, which BTW is the only way to make use of low-grade, high moisture biogas. The output is heat and torque, usually meaning electricity.

(Aside: 15 years ago, I did work for a gas-fired power plant. The old style, boiler and turbine. They were piping landfill gas in. People thought they were using it to generate electricity. Nope, said the engineers: we're incinerating low-grade biogas using high-quality natural gas. It's a CO2 vs. methane impact thing. They have now repiped the landfill gas to a bank of massive internal combustion engines and are contributing juice to the grid.)

My big question is how their low-tech digester generates enough pressure to make the methane flow at a useful rate. They're not using boost pumps; yet they must be generating 5-10 psi to fill tractor tire tubes. I don't see any seals. Perhaps it's the internal design of the chamber?

Edited by dougwalkabout (09/14/10 07:45 PM)