Phaedrus,

Our Scouts and Cubs are doing the same thing in a couple of weeks. I'm a Colony Leader for the younger kids (5-7) and I'm going to make kits with them as well. The be prepared mentality needs to start young! besides, they hike and camp with the big kids and want to be just like them so why not take advantage of that enthusiasm!

We teach the young kids to Hug-a-Tree and signal for rescue if they're lost. They are too young for map and compass yet but we've started rudimentry skills like landmarking and a little bit of map making. They always wear a lanyard with a whistle when we're on outdoor adventures, and we're training them to bring their backpacks with water and a jacket, hat, etc...

My kids are too young for fire or sharps but I have the same $5 budget as you to make these kits. my priorities are protection/shelter, rescue, food and keeping the boogy man at bay. I'm not including water in the psk because we want them to hug that tree at this age.

so far i've raided the local dollar stores and found emergency ponchos for $0.70 each, whistles for $0.50 each, bandanas for $0.50, and keychain squeeze lights for $1.00 each. i also bought a box of fruit bars for about $0.20 each, big bag of sugar free lollypops for $0.05 each, a case of extra-large yard bags for $1.00 each, mini chem lights for $0.60 each. We're going to pack them in double ziplock bags, which cost about $0.05 each.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA