SwampDonkey's youth kit is a fine exercise in function vs. size vs. cost.

But for $5? That's a heckuva challenge. I assume you'll buy anything you can on sale. Or run the troupe through a local secondhand charity store, after giving them the principles and a $3 budget.

Anyway, here's my take:

Cutting Tools:
- razor blade with guard (these are the scraper refills from hardware stores)
- bimetal hacksaw blade section, each end rounded/sanded, as long as will fit in the container

Fire:
- firestarter has to be PJ and cotton balls, plus 2 birthday candles
- paper matches in Saran wrap last many, many years in storage; teach them to cut 2-3-4 at a time, right to the bottom of the package, to get a real match; ideally, add a second phosophorous striker to the kit
- 1-2 lifeboat matches (paper match striker will light them)

Cordage:
- monofilament fish line, maybe 12lb., for fishing and shelter building
- mason line is great, but even heavy butcher cord is useful in camp
- 2 ft. of super-sticky first aid tape, the kind that sticks to skin for days in all conditions--I have yet to find duct tape that will stick to my skin for long for first aid or blister prevention; or 6 ft. of red electrical tape, which won't stick to skin but will stretch and stick to itself

Signalling
- whistle of some kind
- mirror: I like the mylar balloon and card option; but the platters from discarded hard drives are excellent, tough, and free metal mirrors

Container:
- at this cost, you're looking at an uncoated tin can
- but if you can scrounge 'em, packing this in a cheap enamel cup would be best

Light:
- can't beat the DealExtreme minis

Other:
- if not in bear country, a few individually wrapped mints can do a lot for morale etc.

I've probably blown the $5 and then some. Let us know what the final kit looks like!

Cheers,
Doug

BTW, I gotta grab those DXExtreme lights. Wow.