In the rural highways of my AO, there are moose everywhere and not a year goes by that people are seriously injured and killed by them hitting a moose at speed. These moose can weigh 1000 lbs or more and reach 6 - 7 feet in height as measured to the large noticeable hump on their back.

I fortunately have only had one small encounter some years ago with a moose where I clipped it with the front bumper on my full size Jimmy. Luckily for me, my truck and the moose, there was no real damage as by time of the collision Ithe truck had slowed down considerably. We were worried that although moose seemed to be okay, that it could be injured. I called the local CO who appeared about 1/2 hour later and together we walked and searched for the moose down the ravine and semi open plateau area on the side of the highway where we had seen it run off into. After an almost hour long search with the approaching darkness and with no sign of or blood trail fom the moose, we came to the conclusion that the moose was probably ok and would live on.

Most of these collisions around here could be avoided if people obeyed the bountiful signs that warn them of moose areas next to the highway corridors and to keep their speeds down in which the typical posted night driving speed advisory is 70 km (40 mph) or lower. This is also more relevant in winter when road conditions can become treacherous and moose like to travel along the roads as it easier for them to walk along a regularily plowed road then it is to flounder through the typical deep snow off the highway. In some parts of the north where there is a lot of snow, it is piled so high beside the highway that it creates a tunnel effect and the moose have no place to escape from approaching vehicles and thusly become prime collision targets. Another reason moose (and other animals) prefer roadways is that they like to lick the salt which is put down to melt the snow and ice.

Most people do not know that due to a moose being much taller then a deer, moose eyes do not reflect vehicle headlights like deer at your eye level do which makes moose spotting that much more difficult at night

In terms of being prepared for travel in remote areas, having a vehicle in good shape, which includes winter tires...not all season types if you travel in snow and mountain country. Having extra food, water, warm clothing, sleeping bags, blankets, proper footwear and other kit in your car (which has been discussed here many times) can make a big world of difference in regards to your safety and comfort if you find yourself stranded after hitting any wildlife or perhaps when you have become lost or your vehicle simply breaks down et al.

Finally and more or less on topic, hitting a full size bear (upwards of 600 lbs around here for black bears) at speed with today's smaller vehicles is also very hazardousness and in some areas it is the highest cause of morality rates of these animals.

John Lubbock