IMHO it is prudent to maintain some level of situational awareness and part of that is having a working understanding of where things that might go boom, or be hazard if it catches fire, are located.

Pipelines, rail-roads and highways are good to know about because you never know what might be traveling around them. A truckload of agricultural chemicals that catches fire can put large areas at risk. You can add industrial sites that contain potentially hazardous materials. A local boat plant went up a few years ago and entire neighborhoods had to be evacuated because of the large amounts of resins and paints present.

One people forget about are warehouses that contain agricultural and industrial supplies. These buildings are easy to miss and are poorly marked. Even as they can have great qualities of toxic, flammable, and toxic materials.

Fuel supply depots and even regular gas stations are useful to know about. Even a small gas station can block an intersection for a long time if it catches fire.

Supply depots are handy because fewer people know about them. Most seem to sell to anyone but they are mainly set up for contractors and fleet fueling. One year a hurricane was closing in and all the local gas stations were out of gas. Wanting to top up my supply I went to a local supply depot and was able to get the gas I wanted.

It pays to know where hazards are. Keeping this in mind, and the prevailing wind direction, can give you an idea of what areas might be at risk if there is a fire or explosion.