Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Great post, Bryd! grin That's the beauty of a forum like this: We have the ability to bounce things off one another and learn from examining real life situations. I think the day hiker has luxury on his/her side- since you anticipate a short trip you're not already encumbered with a 50 pound pack. In my mind that means that each person carrying a 10-15 pound load is really nothing. Certainly not like humping 80 pounds along the AT!

You see articles and videos on the "Top 3/10/20 Items For Survival" but realistically we should probably think of "2/5/10 Pounds of Gear for Survival." If you take a kitchen-sink approach to gear, at best you won't enjoy your time out of doors, feeling like a pack mule. And at worst, you'll leave that bulky pack at home because it's just a day hike... You really have to balance security with living your life.

I'm going to copy your list into a Word file for reference.

Thank you, but what is appropriate for us in our environment and for the activity we are engaged in is not necessarily appropriate in another place or scenario. Some members will be appalled that we dont have water or a stove on the list. Nice to have? Yes! But we simply dont need those here. Others do in their environment. I did revise my list slightly because I forgot a few items.