Events like this almost always inspire discussions of exactly what kind of gear they should have brought along - in addition to what they already had in their packs. Remember, there is always a delicate balance between having a light pack and the proper gear. Proper gear for a night out in the snow is full size tent, sleeping bags and cooking gear - a bit too cumbersome for your average day pack.

They had some bare minimum nescessities and made VERY good use of them. Kudos for that - and for their training and attitude.

That being said, there is always room for improvements, and I am looking forward to read the suggestions of this forum of what those improvements could be.

Myself, I am reminded of exactly why I carry almost 1.5 pounds of bivy bag around: From the PSK sharing center thread I've found more lightweight bivy bags alternatives, but for trips outside the beaten path where I may encounter exactly the kind of conditions that pair suffered I always bring that bivy bag. If need be, there is room for two good friends - I can actually fit my whole family in there. Cramped, but that's just warmer... I have been lumping that thing around for the last 16 years... Old habbits die hard, I guess.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (09/10/10 07:28 AM)