I have had this Kukri (Ghurka) knife since the mid 1980's (my late teen years) when I purchased it from a local mil surp store. It originally came with the leather scabbard which also held 2 karda (auxiliary knives)...which unfortunately are long gone. For some years, this knife was my constant companion and accompied me on 100's of miles of trails and was my tool of choice around many mountain camps. Then for reasons, now only known to the surly winds of time, I stopped carrying the knife and it sat abandoned in the bottom of an old toolbox that was only re-discovered when I moved recently.

Now that I re-discovered the knife, the memories I have of it is compelling me to get the knife cleaned up with a little TLC. I am looking for some suggestions on the best way to clean the knife and preserve it from staining and rusting any further. I am not looking for a showcase finish as the knife may find it's way back into my current hiking and camping kit. Also one day, I may decide to gift the knife to my son and I would like to be in a little better shape then it is now.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

John Lubbock