Thanks everyone.

Couple of quick points. My main concern isn't necessarily a crash landing (although that is a possibility). More likely is a situation requiring either a forced or precautionary landing, followed by a forced vacation in the woods. An example situation occurred a few years ago, when an instructor had to make a forced landing on a logging road in the mountain. They were picked up by another helicopter just a few minutes before dark. Any later and they would have had to wait at least another day, and considering the unpredictable weather in the PNW, there is no guarantee that the next day's weather will be any conducive to getting an aircraft in.

Other big concern, unfortunately, is weight and storage space. The aircraft I fly have very small useful loads, and taking extra equipment often means taking less fuel, which is not always a great trade off. I figure I can spare about 3#. The entire kit needs to fit within a pocket in my flight bag.

I like the idea of the PLB, I'll be looking into that as finances allow. Unfortunately, that might be a bit.

Signal mirror also seems like a good idea. I'll be picking one up shortly.

The space blanket is far from ideal, but in a compromise between weight, compactness and versatility, it's probably about the best I can do. Realistically, in cold weather, I would likely be working to create shelter and fire, and use that for warmth.

Any other ideas are of course welcome.