Background info: I am a helicopter flight instructor in the pacific northwest. I spend a fair amount of my day over the coastal mountain range instructing pilots in the finer art of flying and landing aircraft away from airports and runways.

Needless to say, there is a bit of risk associated with my current job, and a survival kit is virtually indispensable.

Here is the trick though: Flying small, piston engined helicopters, I am severely weight limited, and storage space is also extremely limited. I need to keep any kit as light weight and compact as possible.

Here's what I have so far (starting from top left):
First row:
2 - 1 gal. storage bags;1- waterproof match case with strike anywhere matches, a fishing hook and sewing thread; 1-Gerber Gator folding knife; 550 paracord;

Second row:
1- First Aid Kit containing various bandages, pads, surgical tape, antiseptics, alcohol pads, guaze, razor blade, shears, moleskin, and other various FAK contents. Also a Bic lighter thrown in as well; 2 film canisters, the first containing steel wool and fire cube, the second containing water purification tabs; emergency blanket; compass (wrapped in duck tape). Everything is contained in double wrapped vacuum sealed plastic bags.

Additional gear that always goes with me: Nomex flight suit, Helmet, folding CRKT knife, couple of plastic bottles of water, VFR sectional chart (fancy aviation term for a map wink ), gloves, and a cell phone.

What I feel I am missing: I think I need to have a means of boiling water, so I am going to get a stainless water bottle. I also think I should have some snacks thrown in as well.

Anything else I am missing? Any changes anyone would suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by rotorheadcfi (08/30/10 03:45 AM)