I am keeping a running journal of ideas,observations and lessons. Hopefully other Southern California forum readers will join in. Temperatures quickly jumped into the 90s with a 10 % humidity level and a strong offshore flow wind just prior to the fires ( joined later by our infamous Santa Anna winds.) Large stands of bark beetle infested dead or dying trees and our FIRE ECOLOGY chapparel made for a literal time bomb. San Diego County is one of the fastest growing areas in the US. Many of those homes still have( or HAD) cedar shake shingle roofs in spite of legislation bitterly opposed by that industry. Simi valley's name comes from Shi'mi'ya, chumash for valley of the winds. The nieghboring San Fernando Valley's indian name meant valley of the smokes. So the many special interests and finger pointers should temper their agendas. Fire is the twin sister to earthquake. Both were here long before us and will remain after our departure. The San Diego fire was caused by the hunter discharging a flare. He apparently didn't even know if anyone could see it. My ranch fire was actually a precurser to the Simi fire. We were hit by embers blowing over from the Val Verde 6 short aerial miles away. That fire is now attributed to arson. The death toll is given anywhere from 11 to 24 at present. 8 people died in San Diego after ignoring evacuation orders and were overrun by fire in their cars and on foot. A private plane actually crash landed on a freeway after taking off into the heavy smoke. Recently recalled Governor Davis was in San Bernadino meeting with fire victims who statistically voted him out. Governor elect Swartzenegger met with officials near my town which statistically voted for Mc Clintock and no on the recall.