Many of you have heard of the pea-green Mora #2000 Swedish survival knife. I've been curious about it, but just couldn't get myself to spend the $35 on such an ugly knife.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

Recently Mora has come out with a knife that has the blade of the #2000 with the handle of the #946 ... the #2010, and it is a winner.

After my post to the recent fixed blade thread, it bugged me that I'd never actually seen the Mora #2000, so I ordered the #2010, got it this afternoon, and have to say, I really REALLY like it. The tip of the blade is thinner than I expected it to be (but just like the pics on the web sites), but the #2000 had such an excellent reputation that I have faith in the #2010.

The handle feels great. Grippy. A bit of a finger guard. A few bits of flashing (extra plastic where the mold was), but I quickly trimmed that off. Not sure how it would handle real rough abrasion.

The sheath is the best I've seen on a Mora knife. As I've read others say, I do wish the belt clip allowed use of a bit wider belt, but it will do fine. I do wonder whether the blade could be pushed through the case if someone fell on it.

That same site shows a number of other similar bushcraft knives (at the top of the page).

The #2010 is no Mk3, but it makes for a GREAT beginner's fixed blade camp/survival knife - just $35! Eventually I'll probably give the #2010 to my Eagle Scout son - since I already have the Mk3, but until then I need some time to play with the Mora 2010 some more.

Ken