Cash

Fuel -- top off frequently, don't let your tank drop below half.

In a power outage or widespread emergency don't count on the ATMs, Visa card readers and fuel pumps to function. Expect tremendous lines if they do. And have important papers, such as account statements, ready-to-go at a moment's notice.

Welcome to ETS, Stephanie. I'm also single. I Iive in Washington, DC. I have a dog so she's part of my preparedness effort (food, water and meds). We do a lot of camping in the spring-summer-fall so I'm just now getting to this thread.

Camping gear and the experience of living outdoors can come in very handy in an emergency.

Blast, Susan and others have made many great suggestions. I tend to organize camping and preparedness around themes, such as: shelter (home, car, hiking, clothes), water (storage and purification), food (storage, refrigeration and cooking), first-aid (meds, bandages, instruction).

...and: home and car (you may not be home when an emergency strikes)

I keep stuff organized in containers or bags to make packing for camp trips more efficient (and to lessen the chance of leaving something important behind).

You might begin by keeping a list of what you use everyday and what would be unpleasant (toilet paper, shampoo, toiletries, lights, a/c) or dangerous to run out of (water, food, meds, power -- heat, oven-stove).

Imagination is essential to preparedness. Imagine situations and problem-solve them and then prepare as best you can. That's what's going on in a lot of the ETS threads.

Here's an off the top of my head list of gear I deem essential (am also big on redundancy and have much of this in my car as well as home): headlamps and flashlights, candles (and candle lanterns), firestarters (numerous) radios, batteries, hatchets and axes, knives, stoves (propane, duel-fuel, charcoal, Kelly Kettle and Thermette), water purification (tablets and devices), sturdy boots and socks (car and home), extra glasses, tent, tarps, sleeping bags, gloves (sturdy work, warm and weatherproof), rope, duct tape, tools

No doubt I've left things out, but it's a start.