Originally Posted By: rebwa
I don't know as high tops seem to give me more support. I'd use a hiking boot rather than a backpacking boot. And in the PNW at least 3 seasons of the year the high tops are going to probably keep your feet drier. Even if you are lucky to have a dry day, which can be far and few between around here, with a major earthquake there undoubtedly will be broken water mains (and probably worse) with runoff to navigate through and around. Fall through spring I'd probably include a pair of gaiters as well.

I'm with you that the high-tops feel like they offer much more support for me as well. I'm less sure about the extra inch or two of height will make a great deal of difference in places where you need to get through water. Dealing with water is another reason not to have breathing holes in the sides of your shoes though. Still prefer the high-tops though!

The gaitors are a great idea! Tend to think of those in terms of snow, but I can see them providing additional lower leg protection as well as helping keep dust, dirt, gravel, etc. out of your boots. Wonder how much a pair weigh...